The Model School scheme was launched in November 2008 in pursuance to the announcement of
the Prime Minister in his Independence Day speech of 2007. The scheme aims to provide quality
education to talented rural children through setting up of model schools as benchmark of excellence
at block level at the rate of one school per block.
The scheme has the following objectives:
The scheme has two modes of implementation, viz.
- To have at least one good quality senior secondary school in every block.
- To have a pace setting role
- To try out innovative curriculum and pedagogy
- To be a model in infrastructure, curriculum, evaluation and school governance
- through State/UT Governments in educationally backward blocks (EBBs), and
- under Public-Private Partnership (PPP) mode in blocks which are not educationally backward.